Tuesday, December 10, 2013

California Museum of Photography

I also had the opportunity to visit the California Museum of Photography in Riverside, CA. I figured that since I am a photography major, that it would be essential to my education to gain a better knowledge of photography and to see printed photos rather than just on the computer screen. There is just something about being there and seeing the photographs framed, enlarged and in person that is just so satisfying and you cannot get that same experience at home on the computer.
      During my experience, there were three specific photographs that stood out for me the most, were Lower East Side by Stephen Shore, Arab Nomad by Zangaki Brothers, and Sidewalk Scene by Walker Evans. Each piece is unique and powerful in its own way. One is a more urban city scene, another an older exotic scene, and lastly an older city scene.
      The Lower East Side is a photo and graphic design meshed together with is exactly what I want to pursue a career in. I feel that this piece sends forth a message of how corrupt society is today and all of the negative influences that shadow the good ones. Arab Nomad is a beautiful photograph, definitely my favorite out of the three works of art I mentioned. I love the texture, lighting, and olden feel to the photo. I am instantly drawn to the woman’s eyes that are framed perfectly by her headdress. I am left curious about the story behind this photo and what is behind her eyes and beyond the frame. Lastly, Sidewalk Scene is an older downtown Alabama city scene I love the way that the photo is framed and how ironically there are all men walking in the background, but there are childrens wagons under the sign reading “Fixings for Men.” This can convey that maybe the men for a change are the ones that take care of the children and hove more power over them. Also, on the newsstand beneath the sign there are magazines that read “ Two Wives, a Husband, and a Sweetheart.” Maybe it’s the latest scandal? Who knows? I think that is what is interesting about this photograph, you don’t know the story behind it which leaves it all up to the imagination of the viewer. Another aspect of the museum that I loved was how it had a display of a timeline of cameras all the way from the first camera up to modern cameras and how they have evolved over time. It was interesting to see how cameras started out and to learn how tedious it was to get one photo and now the process is digital and compact into one lightweight camera. It is simply amazing how so much is fit into one compact device.    
Lower East Side. NYC.July 2011.Stephen Shore.

Arab Nomad.Zangaki Brothers.

Sidewalk Scene.Alabama.1935.Walker Evans.

No comments:

Post a Comment